The course is predominantly within the Myall Lakes National Park, and all paddlers must be self-sufficient for an extended paddle, with the following as a minimum;
- Every paddler, regardless of craft, is required to wear a Level 50 or 50S non-inflatable lifejacket during the event.
- All craft must have a Vertical Number Board Holder. (numbers taped on the deck will not pass scrutineering). Suction cup number holders are OK if additional tape is used; fixed ones are better
- All craft must have positive buoyancy, and float upright and level with the surface in order to provide support for a paddler in the event of a capsize. Foam core layup is not considered sufficient buoyancy for this event. Use packing foam in a garbage bag, or inflatable buoyancy bags.
- One paddler in each craft must wear the emergency phone number wristband provided.
- One paddler in each craft must carry a mobile phone in a waterproof pouch.
- 47km Paddlers must each have a minimum of 2 litres of water and 50 grams of solid food, or 2 litres of liquid race food.
- 27km paddlers must each have a minimum of 1 litre of fluid.
- 12km paddlers are each advised to have fluids on board.
- One paddler in all SUPs and surfskis must wear a leg leash
All craft will be checked prior to passing through the entry gate for correct buoyancy and number holder. A compliance sticker will then be attached. A roving scrutineer will be on hand to check craft.